Hi there, gang! Can I call you a gang? Somehow calling you a colony seems odd ... a group of artists is called a colony, isn't it? Well, whatever we're collectively called, I'm glad you're here!
This week we kicked off another session of creating in our journals. For those of you who've been through the process with me before, especially the first week, these basics will be familiar to you. But I REALLY encourage you to read (or reread) pages 1 through 3 of the handouts. While writing these first three pages I *really* dug down deep to why journaling has become so important in my learning to take better care of myself, physically, mentally and emotionally, which is why it's part of All Body Community program.
One of the things I didn't mention in class was that I believe Art Saved My Life. That may sound cliche, but it's true. One day I realized I had lots more art I wanted to make, and you can't make art if you're dead. In fact, the more physically able you are, the more art you can create, and the more you can connect with others, attend classes and retreats and get out to see what other artists are up to so you can continue being inspired. If art is your doorway into taking better care of yourself, that's no bad thing. So this year, more than ever, I've tried in the handouts to get closer and closer to the bones of what makes my creative soul tick. I hope by (re)reading these pages, something will click for you, too.
As I say on page one: What I want most for you in this class is to find the thing that sets you on fire and then keep on burning. Over the course of these classes, we're going to be playing with a whole bunch of creative processes, some of which may seem shallow on the surface. But trust me, if you embrace the experiences, let them be what they are, you might connect with them at a deeper level. But if you don't, that's okay. I often say to myself: the only solution you need is the one that works for you, and that covers creative self-expression.
Here are your first three pages of the handout:
In the next post, I'll cover all the options we talked about to decorate your covers ...



No comments:
Post a Comment