In the first part of the class we talked about personal identifiers and the communities we belong to. For the next step, I want you to consider the following questions. Some of them are pretty deep, and the time taken to answer them will help you gain useful insight into how you are in the world.
Answer them as honestly as you can. If you find yourself avoiding a question (or an answer), ask yourself why. It's not always easy to face parts of ourselves we'd rather leave behind, but I believe there is much strength to be gathered from knowing as much as possible about our own inner workings. I wouldn't go as far as to say "the unexamined life is not worth living", but I know real change in my life has only happened when I saw the truth behind the habits I wanted to leave behind and used my strengths to forge new ones.
Here are your 29 questions:
A few weeks ago I was having a discussion with one of my brothers over social media about self-improvement vs. self-acceptance. If we indulge in too much self-acceptance, we become stagnant and give up on becoming the better person we might become. On the other hand, if we constantly bombard ourselves with self-improvement messages, we become exhausted and down-trodden. I knew we couldn't be the only people thinking about this, so I went off to google-land and found an interesting article at PickTheBrain, which I've summarized on the sheet below for you:
Where do you fall on the improvement vs. acceptance scale? Are you too hard on yourself? Are you too laidback? Only you know for sure what you're capable of, but I'm sure getting the balance right is part of the secret of happiness.


No comments:
Post a Comment