Sunday, February 26, 2017

Class 2 ~ Pages from my journal + links from class discussion

I thought it would be useful for you to see how I'm using the class materials in my own journal, so I'm posting some pages below for you. For those of you new to how the printouts work, the page size is designed to fit in our class journals which measure 7" wide by 8.5" wide. By cutting along the dotted line, the top part of the page fits in the journal, while the quotes at the bottom of the page can be used at random throughout the journal if and when they strike a chord with you.

Here are my pages from Class #2: I Am & We Are:

This page started off as an ad for hair coluring, but you wouldn't know it now.

The page started off as a shampoo ad in a magazine.
I've added some quotes from the handouts and written out a few as well.


Thanks to Anne for the center heart image - I am grateful indeed to have wonderful class participants!

In the class we also talked about:

Uppercase Magazine ~ the only magazine I subscribe to at the moment. Wonderful articles and contributions from artists all over the world. Run by one woman in Calgary, it's a constant inspiration for me when it comes to being original in my creativity. I fell in love with their open invitation for artists to make bookmarks, which are all posted online. Although the magazine is not cheap, there are no ads, so I find it well worth having. But if price is an issue, you can still sign up for her free newsletter and read the newsletter archives as well,

PS - I've had one of my works printed in Uppercase when they matched up random artists around the world to collaborate on a project. I was matched with an artist in Boston, where we quickly discovered that what Vancouver and Boston had in common was a love of, and need for, bridges.

Someone also asked if I could share more about the artwork I do, so here are a few links to my contributions to the Sketchbook Project in New York. For this project, they send you an empty sketchbook, you fill it up and send it back. I always make two (yes, two). I send one back to New York and keep the second one for myself. If there is interest, I can bring these in for people to see, but you can see them right now online here:

Builder of Bridges: a collaged story of a woman, a river and the moving of rocks. 

Today I Am Inspired By ... in this sketchbook, I tried to learn more about a favourite artist by creating my own artwork in their style inspired by a favourite quote. Creating this sketchbook was like taking a university art course. Every new page required forgetting everything I'd just learned and starting from scratch all over again. It was exhausting but probably the most useful and educational thing I've ever attempted in my creative life. Not every page was "successful", but it was all worthwhile - a lesson I needed to learn about life in general, maybe?

The Science of Story: For this sketchbook I wondered: What if we taught writing the same way we teach science? As in using lots of diagrams. This is still one of my favourite sketchbooks.

This should tide everyone over till our next class, which will be on March 8th. Lovely to see you all and I hope (for those of you doing this series online) that you are enjoying having these worksheets being posted online. Be well, and be creative!

~ Penelope

No comments:

Post a Comment