These are the colouring books I measure all other colouring books against. They are big (12" x 12") and each one has 85 fabulous drawings on high quality paper ~ perfect for whatever your favourite colouring medium might be. And the drawings? So amazing. Carrie and Witek are joined by 5 other very talented Canadian artists who see, and draw, the world in ways that just beg to be coloured.
During the class, they shared two of the drawings with us, both by Witek, but they are just the tip of the creative iceberg, so to speak. You *really* need to check these out if colouring is your thing, or is about to be ...
I first heard about Carrie and Witek through their Kickstarter campaign when they were launching the first book, Legendary Landscapes, and then again when I realized that they were organizers of the Vancouver Adult Coloring Books Meetup group. I've bumped into them several times since. Once, memorably, when they were doing a book signing for the new book, Legendary Worlds, at London Drugs, where CBC TV was interviewing them about the adult colouring book phenomenon. I also recently made a point of attending a colouring session they had at Opus Art Supplies.
To read more about their books and see more of the amazing drawings they've collected in their two books, check out the following:
Colorworth, where you can not only buy their books, and they also have two smaller sets of digital pages you can print out and colour as many times as you like.
Vancitybuzz did a nice article on Carrie, Witek and the books as well.
They also have a great Facebook page where fans of the books post pages they've coloured, which is pretty darn inspiring, as well as other things relating to colouring and creativity.
If you want to get your own copy of their colouring book locally, you can find them at London Drugs and Opus Arts.
As a person who makes art nearly every day, it was a bit of an eye-opener for me how the simple act of colouring can bring such high rewards. As children most of us were encouraged to colour from the time we could hold a crayon in our chubby little hands, and most of us were given some basic instructions like: stay inside the lines, for example. But as we got older, we moved on to "higher" pursuits. So when I sat down to colour a few years ago I was totally unprepared for how much pleasure I would get out of it, or the sense of accomplishment for completing a page. How deep down satisfying it was to play with colour, shapes, lines, blending ... well, you get the idea.
Some people don't get the whole adult colouring thing, and all I can think is that they probably haven't tried it. Because when you do, the simple joy of it becomes evident pretty quickly.
I want to say a big thank you to Carrie and Witek for coming along to the group and sharing the story of their colouring books and their tips for colour use with the group. It was a relaxing hour and it went by far too fast.



No comments:
Post a Comment