Sunday, May 14, 2017

Class 3 ~ Diagramming a "Self in the Center" Universe

In essence, we are all at the center of our own universe. But there's a difference between being self-centered (which has negative connotations) and what I think of as "self in the center".

Speaking for myself, it seems like the world inside my head is as large, and as "present" and demanding of my attention, as the world outside. So, no matter what I'm doing part of me is always thinking about something ~ maybe what I'm doing, but often, six or seven or twelve or twenty other things as well. What this means is that I'm always aware of the interchange between my inner self and the outside world, where I'm giving, and where I'm receiving from each of the things that require my attention and energy. The trick is keeping things in balance.

Here's a little exercise I invented for myself to be more conscious of those demands (and rewards) from the things that touch my life. Begin by drawing a circle in the center of your page, and label it "ME", In the smaller circles, write out some of the things that require your attention and energy. There are obvious ones: family, friends, job, etc. but think about yours and specify who (or what) those things are to YOU, not only “real” stuff but abstract stuff, too. On one side of the connecting lines between ME and the smaller circles, write what this person/thing GIVES to you, on the other side, write what it TAKES from you. Don’t think too much about either the negative or positive effects, just be as honest as possible about the relationship between yourself and whatever it is.


Here's how mine turned out, to give you an example:


Were there any surprises? Do you see patterns about how you interact with the world? What you're willing (and able) to give? Who (or what) occupies your conscious attention? Where (and how) are you actually being nurtured? Can you arrange your life to get more balance, or nurturing (if you need it)?

I found doing this exercise steadied me somewhat. I was more aware of demands being made of me, and the division of my time, but also more aware of where my satisfaction came from. It made me feel more able to defend against the incursion of requests that come my way. How was it for you? Would love to hear your feedback.

No comments:

Post a Comment